Sea Shepherd Scandinavia's Mission Statement
Sea Shepherd Scandinavia is a registered non-profit marine conservation organization whose mission is to end the destruction of habitat and slaughter of wildlife in and around Scandinavia and across the world’s oceans in order to conserve and protect ecosystems and species.
Sea Shepherd Scandinavia uses innovative direct-action tactics to investigate, document and take action when necessary to expose and confront illegal activities commited against marine wildlife and habitats. By safeguarding the biodiversity of our delicately balanced oceanic ecosystems, Sea Shepherd Scandinavia works to ensure their survival for future generations.
SEA SHEPHERD SCANDINAVIA
660 60 Molkom
More about Sea Shepherd Scandinavia
Sea Shepherd Scandinavia is a registered non-profit in Sweden (Org. No: 802501-8865). The objective of Sea Shepherd Scandinavia is to conserve and protect the Scandinavia’s and the world’s marine ecosystems, habitats and species. Sea Shepherd Scandinavia may also engage in conservation activities to protect freshwater habitats/species and provide support and funding to international marine conservation campaigns.
Sea Shepherd Scandinavia endeavors to accomplish its goals through public education, investigation, documentation and where appropriate (and where legal authority exists under international law or under agreement of national governments) to enforce conservation laws and prevent violations of the international treaties, laws and conventions meant to protect the oceans. It is also the Sea Shepherd Scandinavia’s goal to outreach to the Scandinavian public via talks, presentations and events to educate people about the importance of marine conservation.
Sea Shepherd Scandinavia cooperates whenever possible with national and international law enforcement agencies. Sea Shepherd Scandinavia adheres to the utilization of non-violent principles in the course of all actions in the protection of the oceans. Sea Shepherd Scandinavia at times offers rewards for information leading to the successful conviction of individuals or groups for specific crimes against marine wildlife. Sea Shepherd Scandinavia operates (where laws of the Scandinavian countries and the European Union allow) in cooperation with the 'Sea Shepherd Movement' around the world and liaises with Sea Shepherd Global based in the Netherlands.
During the last 5 years alone Sea Shepherd entities around the world have conducted campaigns on the following issues:
- Defending Large Whales – Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary Antarctic campaigns and Operation Kimberley Miinimbi in Australia
- Defending Sharks, Turtles & Seabirds – Shark Finning / Long Lining / Illegal Drift Net fishing (Galapagos & Pacific)
- Defending Small Cetaceans in the Faroe Islands & in Taiji (Japan).
- Opposing government sponsored Shark culls in Western Australia & La Reunion islands
- Defending endangered Bluefin Tuna with two Blue Rage campaigns in the Mediterranean
- Guarding Sea Lions – Dam Guardian Campaign (USA)
- Investigating and defending Seals in Scotland, Ireland, Namibia & Canada
- Protecting Coral Reefs in Hawaii with Operation Reef Defence & Galapagos
- Confronting Illegal Fishing in Galapagos, Senegal, Guatemala and wherever our vessels encounter crimes being committed against marine wildlife.
- Defending seabirds in Germany, defending Marine Protected Areas in Italian coastal waters and combating illegal drift netting in the territorial waters of Belgium.
- Investigating and exposing chemical and oil pollution issues – Operation Toxic Gulf
- Tackling the issues of Plastic Pollution in the oceans with Operation Vortex + Uk and worldwide beach cleans
Further Information links: